Through a variety of programs, Minnesota Fringe works with 1,000+ artists each year to create adventurous performing arts experiences featuring an array of genres, and supporting the development of new, adventurous work.
The 2024 Minnesota Fringe Festival will take place August 1-11, 2024.
- Anyone can apply to be an artist in the Fringe Festival and, if selected via lottery, are guaranteed
a slot. A show whose lottery number is not selected is placed on a waiting list in case previously selected performers drop out. Producers will be paid 70% of box office receipts based on tickets sold for individual performances. More information can be found on the Festival Application Information page.
- To ensure a wide range of artists can participate, we offer three
producer funding opportunities to help tackle costs of normal festival participation: our Fee Deferment Program, allowing artists to deduct their producer fee from their final box office payout
(meaning $0 paid in advance); Festival Artist Grants and a Touring Artist Grant, which cover up to 100% of producer fees in full, creating an opportunity for a limited number of artists to produce their show for a $0 fee. All initiatives are managed and selected by
Fringe's Artist Committee, a volunteer group of artists who have participated in past Fringe programming.
- If you're interested in being ON STAGE during the Minnesota Fringe Festival, consider participating in our VIRTUAL Unified Auditions, announced in early 2024
Additional Minnesota Fringe programs include:
- The Fringe Hangover is an online digital offering featuring shows from the most recent Minnesota Fringe Festival recorded live during our annual summer celebration of the performing arts. Producers set the price of their online offering and received 100% of the receipts, less processing fees, for each view.
- The 2021 Minnesota Fringe Hybrid Festival featured virtual pre-recorded and live shows and in-person independently produced live shows at a variety of locations around the Twin Cities Metro Area. Producers were paid 75% of box office receipts based on tickets sold for online or live performances.
- In 2020, we pivoted our flagship festival to become an online offering during a global pandemic. Artists participated in the Virtual Festival in one of two ways: By submitting to be selected for a one-time live performance during the Nightly Fringe -OR- featuring their show on our Digital Hub where audience members who purchased a Fringe Button could view content.
Beyond the Box
- Beyond the Box is a collaborative project with the Downtown Improvement District that incubates artists in a peer-learning format to craft their own 10-20 minute performances which take place on Nicollet Mall in Downtown Minneapolis. All productions are free to the public and performed in public spaces.
Drafts & Draughts
- Drafts & Draughts is Fringe's multidisciplinary scratch night, featuring 4-6 snippets of staged new work. Presenting works-in-progress in a casual atmosphere provides artists with a supportive audience. Artists work with Fringe staff to design and receive feedback on the specific questions needed to push their work further. Drafts & Draughts runs the gamut, featuring theatre, dance, improv, storytelling, spoken word, magic, and more.
- Fringe Presents is Fringe's curated offering around a unifying theme or concept which features reprises from past Fringe Festivals. There is no application process, but artist are welcome to submit their work samples or proposals via firstname.lastname@example.org from September to May annually.