Through a variety of programs, Minnesota Fringe works with 1,000+ artists each year to create adventurous performing arts experiences featuring an array of genres, and supporting the development of new, adventurous work.
- The 2021 Minnesota Fringe Festival features virtual pre-recorded and live shows and in-person independently produced live shows. Producers in the 2021 Fringe Festival are paid 75% of box office receipts based on tickets sold for online or live performances. More information can be found on our Fringe Festival Participation page.
- Normally in our cornerstone program, the Fringe Festival anyone can apply to be an artist and, if selected via lottery, are guaranteed a spot. Shows whose lottery number is not selected are placed on a waiting list in case selected performers drop out. To ensure a wide range of artists can participate, we offer three producer funding opportunities to help tackle costs of normal festival participation: our Fee Deferment Program, allowing artists to deduct their producer fee from their final box office payout (meaning $0 paid in advance); Festival Artist Grants and a Solo Festival Artist Grant, which cover up to $500 of producer fees in full, creating an opportunity for a limited number of artists to produce their show for a $0 fee. All initiatives are managed and selected by Fringe's Artist Committee, a volunteer group of artists who have participated in past Fringe programming.
Beyond the Box
- Beyond the Box is a collaborative project with the Downtown Improvement District that incubates artists in a peer-learning format to craft their own 10-20 minute performances which take place on Nicollet Mall in Downtown Minneapolis. All productions are free to the public and performed in public spaces.
Additional Minnesota Fringe programs will be placed on a temporary hold as the organization reorganizes its staff to focus on the festival sustainability throughout the global pandemic.
- In 2020, we pivoted our flagship festival to become an online offering during a global pandemic. Artists participated in the Virtual Festival in one of two ways: By submitting to be selected for a one-time live performance during the Nightly Fringe -OR- featuring their show on our Digital Hub where audience members who purchased a Fringe Button could view content.
Drafts & Draughts
- Drafts & Draughts is Fringe's multidisciplinary scratch night, featuring 4-6 snippets of staged new work. Presenting works-in-progress
in a casual atmosphere provides artists with a supportive audience. Artists work with Fringe staff to design and receive feedback on
the specific questions needed to push their work further. Drafts & Draughts runs the gamut, featuring theatre, dance, improv, storytelling,
spoken word, magic, and more.
- Fringe Presents is Fringe's annual curated offering around a unifying theme or concept. There is no application process, but artist are welcome to submit their work samples or proposals via firstname.lastname@example.org from September to May annually.